Epsom salts are packed full of magnesium and sulphates – minerals that are essential to human health and wellbeing. They’ve been used for hundreds of years to treat a variety of ailments including stress, cramps, poor circulation, pain relief, and much more. However, as well as the health benefits, Epsom salts also have some amazing beauty benefits! Grab yourself a tub and try some of these beauty hacks...
- Add volume to hair: Mix equal parts Epsom salt with your regular conditioner and apply to your hair. Leave for around 20 minutes before rinsing off. The minerals in the salt help to rid your hair of the excess oils that can weigh it down and leave it looking flat and dull. Repeat the treatment weekly for bouncy, shiny hair!
- Soften your lips: If your lips are feeling dry, don’t reach for the lip balm; instead treat them to a salt scrub. Combine a couple of tablespoons of Epsom salt with one tablespoon of Vaseline and apply the solution to your lips. Gently rub it in to remove dead, dry skin and rinse off to reveal softer, fuller looking lips.
- Soften your skin: If your skin is dry and rough then bathing in Epsom salts can help. Run a warm bath and simply add a couple of cups of salts as well as your usually bath products. Bathe for around 20 minutes or so to give the nutrients in the water time to absorb into your skin. Rinse the salt off your skin, pat yourself dry then apply a moisturiser to lock in the salty goodness and make your skin super soft.
- Give yourself a pedicure: Start by mixing half a cup of Epsom salts with soapy water and soaking your feet for around five to ten minutes. Pat your feet dry before trimming and filing your nails, and removing any old nail polish. Soaking your feet should have softened any hard skin on your heels so now is the time to remove it with a pumice stone. Soak your feet again for another five minutes before patting dry and applying a moisturiser for super soft tootsies.
- Give yourself a facial: Epsom salts have a natural exfoliating property which helps to open pores up and give your face a deep clean. Add half a teaspoon of salts to your usual facial cleansing cream and gently massage into the skin for a minute before rinsing with cool water. Pat your face dry and apply your usual moisturiser; repeat the treatment once a week. X